1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
Referring to the bold, underlined words :
- Received : Accepted through faith
- Wherein ye stand : Hold firmly to the belief that the gospel saves – through faith
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
- ARE saved – not will be saved. Your salvation is present tense, not future tense.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
- How that : In what way or manner, by what means did Christ die for our sins
- According to the scriptures : John 19; Luke 23,Acts 5:30
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
- He was buried, and that He rose again the third day : Isaiah 53:9; Luke 23:54; Matthew 12:40; Luke 24
This is the good news which provides –
- forgiveness of our sins,
- gives us God’s imputed righteousness,
- reconciliation to God,
- gives us hope when we die,
- and eternal life.
PLEASE NOTE : Nowhere in the gospel does it state that we have to do good works/keep the law/confess Christ/repent of our sins in order to be saved, yet the Apostle Paul does say that we need to receive it and hold firmly to it. How do we do that? Through faith.
We need to trust what Christ did for us on Calvary’s cross for our sins, and that He rose on the third day from the dead –
FOR OUR SALVATION.