6 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
- the sons of God are angels – Job 1.6
3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
- Things had changed – God’s Spirit would no longer strive with man, and man’s life-expectancy had now been downgraded from 1000 years to a mere 120 years.
4 There were giants in the earth in those days; AND ALSO AFTER THAT, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
- Human women + sons of God = Giants
5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
- In other words, there was no respite
6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
- Noah was different, he found grace in the eyes of the Lord, which means he wasn’t wicked like the others.
9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
- The generations of Noah confirm he was a just man, as opposed to being a hybrid (half angel, half man) – perfect in his generations, and apart from that he also walked with God, he obeyed God.
- One man on the entire planet who lived righteously.
- Angels cannot be saved once they have fallen from God’s grace, and here we have half human/half angels walking the earth (Giants).
10 And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
- Corrupt and violent – wicked, evil, like this present evil world we are living in. Man had corrupted God’s righteous ways upon the earth, just as modern day mainline institutionalised Christianity who are basically unbelievers, corrupt God’s ways today.
- Noah must have been perceived as being an oddball in his day, while others were getting inebriated, partying, going about their everyday lives, marrying and being given in marriage, he was building an Ark and living a sedate life in comparison.
- God specifically created man and woman to be together and to reproduce other humans, not angels (who had no salvation) and humans and their progeny.
12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
14 Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
- The ark had rooms in it, like a modern day ship has cabins, and it was sealed with bitumen (tar).
15 And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
16 A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.
- The ark had one window and one door, and it was three stories high
17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons’ wives with thee.
- The covenant God made with Noah was to build an Ark, and that he, his wife and his sons and their wives would not be destroyed in the flood.
19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
- Two of every living thing of ALL FLESH – one male and one female.
20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
- The mass migration of animals, heading for Noah’s Ark.
21 And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.
- Noah stocked up his pantry with fruit, veg, herbs and grains – food for him and for the animals. Herbivores.
22 Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.
- Noah believed God and did as instructed.