Seventh Day Adventists
1. Believe in the “gift of prophecy” – proof-texts: Ephesians 4 and 1 Corinthians 12. Reality: 1 Corinthians 1:22 ~ For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
2. Add to the Bible, namely the written works of Ellen White.
3. Believe in soul sleep – when a person dies, he/she remains unconscious until resurrected. The unrighteous are destroyed by fire (annihilated) and the righteous are taken to heaven.
4. The righteous do not spend eternity in heaven.
5. Believe the second coming of Christ is near, therefore believers must be ready at all times (endure to the end).
6. The righteous will be resurrected at Christ’s return and are then taken to heaven. For the next 1000 years Satan and the fallen angels live on the earth, thereafter a second resurrection occurs and the devil and his minions are destroyed. The righteous then return to a cleansed earth to establish the New Jerusalem.
It goes without saying that I am confused: who on earth (pun intended) still exists to take part in the second resurrection since the righteous go to heaven, the unrighteous are annihilated and only the devil and his minions are left remaining on the earth for 1000 years?
7. They hold to the belief that the body is the temple of God and should be cared for, and thus abstain from harmful substances like alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and maintain a vegetarian or vegan diet.
8. Keep the Sabbath on a Saturday (preparation day being Friday).
Righteous by their own efforts – veganism, vegetarianism, no alcohol, no tobacco, keeping the sabbath on a Saturday and looking forward to Christ’s second coming are the works that get them the gift of eternal life, apart from this, the New Jerusalem does not come down from heaven, on the contrary and according to their beliefs, it is established by “the righteous”.
Note the terms ” righteous ” and “unrighteous” as opposed to “saved” and “lost”
“I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.” ~ The Apostle Paul, Galatians 2:21.